Monday, January 16, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

I tried to think of a smart-assed title but I'm just not up to it.

I almost wish I had waited for the DVD. It was beautiful on the big screen but when it was over I just wanted to curl up and sob for awhile not deal with Zelda, everyone else in the theater, going to supper, getting home.

For twenty years Jack Twist loves Ennis Del Mar and you can see it every time he looks at him. And Ennis loves Jack. But not enough. And for twenty years Jack waits for him, yearns for him, wants him, hopes things will change, goes to him, makes the effort, and it never works out.

You can blame it on the times but other men managed to build lives together then. You can blame it on the place but other couples managed to be together in places like that. They had to be discreet but it was done, and there were other places.

The only thing that kept them apart was that Ennis was not willing for them to be together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home