Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Crazy Times IV

And now for my latest insanity...

I could blow apart Merv's life in a hundred different ways. Some of them would be nuclear bomb level destruction, some, all it would take is giving bad advice.

So tonight is one of those opportunities, the kind where, if I played it right, I could end up with him, and I know how to do it. I see the opportunity. All I would have to do is encourage the course they're barreling down all by themselves and if I were any good at self-delusion, I could probably convince myself I had nothing to do with it.

Do I do it?

No. Like an idiot I calm him down and send him home having explained women to him, where Beth is coming from, and how to fix it and make it all better.

Why do I keep doing that?

The most flattering answer is that it would just be wrong not to, which is true but is it the whole truth? Maybe I'm afraid of what we would be if it were just the two of us? Maybe I prefer the fantasy to the possible reality? Maybe I realize that marriages are just the tip of an iceberg of issues that keep us apart?

Or maybe, when I have to choose between what I want and what's best for him, that little voice that whispers 'Be his friend!' wins every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home