Saturday, November 19, 2005

"We all suport the troops."

No. You don't.

Most people, even those who disagree with the war, do support the troops (though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of "I hate what you're doing. You're participating in an illegal and immoral war for oil and Haliburton, but I support you."). What irritates the bejeesus out of me is their rote insistence that 'We all support the troops.' because it's untrue.

John Daly, a teacher at Warren Community College in Virginia, sent an email to a student concerned her group inviting an Iraq war veteran to speak on campus that included "I will continue to expose your right-wing, anti-people politics until groups like your won't dare show their face on a college campus. Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors and fight for just causes and for people's needs--such freedom fighters can be counted throughout American history and they certainly will be counted again."

I won't even get into the errors in the English Professor's email, or why an English Professor is so concerned with educating his students about the evils of Capitalism. Fragging doesn't sound like supporting the troops to me.

There have been people out there calling the troops fools and babykillers from the beginning. They're Americans. They have that right. Just own up to it and quit feeding me the line 'We all support the troops.' After all, this is a group that's so concerned with scrupulous honesty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home