Saturday, July 09, 2005

Honor Among Thieves

It's always disappointing when you allow yourself to trust someone and you're let down.

Recently, I let myself be open with a woman I've known casually for many years. I found out she had a lot of similar interests and decided it would be worth trying to have someone to confide in. So I shared some things. Nothing it would destroy me if she proved untrustworthy but nothing I'd want to tell all of our mutual acquaintances either. And after her many assurances of her ability to keep her mouth shut, she went and told everything complete with forwarded copies of conversations.

I'm so disappointed in her. I'm disappointed my belief that you can trust no one has once again been illustrated to be not completely paranoid.

Does anyone ever find the person that will have their back through everything? Someone who believes their word is worth something? Someone who makes a vow and keeps it?

The reason I never promised monogamy and fidelity is because, even at a young age, I had a pretty good idea that was a promise I wouldn't be able to keep. I've never asked for that vow from anyone else because I never thought they'd keep it either. I won't ask the impossible but darnit if you say you're going to do something, do it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home